What does it mean to not just Survive, but Thrive?
In today’s life, so many women are just surviving. We go through the motions, just trying to get by. It seems like a vicious cycle with no end. We let the hustle and bustle of life and other people’s expectations dictate our schedules and priorities. We’d love to have an adventure, find our purpose beyond motherhood or employee, live a dream. What is stopping us?
It is possible to do more than just survive! It’s time to move out of the depths of survival mode and step into an abundant life filled with purpose and joy.
What does it mean to Thrive?
- Stay Purpose-Driven
Having a purpose in life creates a sense of meaning. It is knowing that there is something bigger than ourselves. It compels us to get up in the morning and helps us come alive.
As a Christian, I believe that we were created with a purpose. No one is here by accident, and we were all created with a plan which gives our lives meaning and context. It helps answer the question, “Why am I here?” While this doesn’t mean that every day is a parade, it does give an overall sense of joy and well being.
Here are some questions to ask yourself as you ponder your purpose.
- What drives you?
- What gives you energy?
- What do you love to do?
- What injustices keep you up at night?
- What are your gifts and strengths?
Maybe you haven’t figured out your purpose yet. That is OK! We all go through stages of life at different times, but the important thing is to be eager and open to discovering that purpose. I firmly believe that we are all here to make a difference in this world.
- Keep Your Body Healthy
It’s difficult to Thrive when you don’t feel well. When you have little energy, feel sluggish and have aches and pains, it’s all you can do to get through the day. When your body is healthy, your energy, mood, self- esteem and attitude will all improve. Just what you need live boldly, fearlessly and experience a live of joy and adventure!
What does healthy living include?
- Sleep: Getting enough sleep allows the mind to rest and rejuvenate so you feel alert and focused during the day. Sleep helps reduce stress, improves memory, helps your body fight infection and boosts mood. Also, lack of sleep causes premature aging…we don’t want that.
- Exercise: Exercise is not just about weight loss, its about giving your body the energy that it needs to fuel the dream. Studies have shown that as little as 30-minutes a day of exercise can have dramatic positive effects on your overall health. You don’t need to join a gym or participate in a strenuous program to reap the benefits. Just move your body!
- Nutrition: You are what you eat. If you fill your body with high sugary foods and empty calories you will feel sluggish, foggy and have low energy. Conversely, a healthy diet consisting of fruits, vegetables, healthy fat and protein will give you mental clarity and energy. All the things you need to Thrive!
- Financial Well-Being
What does money have to do with thriving? It’s difficult to live a joyful, purpose-driven life when you are constantly worried about money. Not impossible, just difficult. I don’t believe that money buys happiness. I believe that it makes you more of what you already are. If you’re a happy person, you will be happier. If you are a mean person, you will be meaner. Money buys choices. It gives you the freedom to decide. The freedom to give. The freedom to serve. The freedom to step out of your comfort zone and try something new.
When you are living paycheck to paycheck, in debt and worried about paying the mortgage, it is hard to dream, live boldly and according to your purpose. I’ve spent the last few years focused on getting out of debt. Not because I think living debt free with financial well-being will make me happy, but rather it will give me choices and help me thrive.
How do we move toward financial well-being?
- Work toward becoming debt-free
- Live below our means
- Save for the future
I know first -hand that this is easier said than done, but I believe it is worth the sacrifice on the journey toward a life beyond just surviving!
Living in survival mode prevents us from discovering a life of meaning and purpose. One of adventure and growth. It steals our joy and makes us feel stuck. It’s time to make the choice to not just survive, but Thrive!
Damsel Safety Trainer